Disclosure: Raising A Family On A Budget is in not a Connections Education, LLC operated, sponsored, or affiliated site. All opinions are based on my family’s experiences.
This year, we decided to take our children’s education into our own hands and our own home.
We started the year with a different cyber school, and while I loved the program on paper, once we started with them it didn’t take long to realize that their program was not a good fit for our family. I have friends that are using that cyber school for their families and for them its a great fit, but every family dynamic is different, and ever child learns differently so for us, around week 6, we decided to make a change.
I began looking into traditional homeschooling, and what my options would be and the expense involved. I was completely looking to go that direction, but my husband was encouraging me to look at other cyber school options, and here in Pennsylvania we are lucky enough to have several options. That’s when I met Nicole and we got chatting. Nicole told me about the wonderful cyber school that her children were enrolled in, the amazing and supportive teachers, the field trips, the curriculum, and all that this school had to offer. I scribbled a few notes on a piece of scrap paper, and decided to look into things more when we got home. This chance meeting at the farmers’ market would change my family’s life.
That amazing school that had me reconsidering cyber education was Commonwealth Connections Academy (CCA).
Within a week of meeting Nicole and her family at the farmers’ market, we had filed the paperwork to withdraw from the first cyber school, and had submitted all of our documents to enroll in CCA. I took trainings on how to be an effective learning coach, as well as on how to use all of the technology that the school had to offer. I felt confident that this time it was going to work. That this time my children & I would thrive.
I was right.
So what does Commonwealth Connections Academy have to offer (adapted from their website):
- K–12 curriculum and classes developed by leading education experts.
- Instruction from PA-certified teachers experienced in online instruction.
- Support from trained counselors, principals, and administrative staff.
- Free textbooks, materials, and computer equipment (including a subsidy for Internet service), which are needed in order to participate in a dynamic online learning environment. You return texts at the end of each school year, and tech at the end of your time with CCA.
- After Hours program to provide support for students with questions about homework or in need of real-time help from experienced teachers.
- Dozens of clubs that foster social development and academic growth.
- Hundreds of field trips that bring classroom lessons to life.
- An involved community of students and their families.
- Tons of support from the teachers, staff, family mentors, and everyone at Commonwealth Connections Academy
We had a great year, and I can’t say enough wonderful things about Commonwealth Connections Academy. If you would like more information, please check them out online.
Connections Academy schools are tuition-free, fully accredited online public schools for students in kindergarten through 12th grade. Connections Academy schools are available to students in more than 25 states. For more information, or to see if there is a Connections Academy school in your area, please visit their website.